Blue Dragon Headphone Cable
The Blue Dragon headphone cable is a neutral, very natural sounding headphone cable which is great for vocal performances.
It is a good fit if you want to improve clarity and dynamics in your headphones and do not want to add coloration. Furthermore, if you do not want to tip the headphone forward or back, then the Blue Dragon is a wonderful choice.
Quality You Can Trust
Most stock headphone cables are made of poor, ultra-thin conductors that work as a bottleneck for sound. Poor geometries, no shielding, rubber jackets, and a whole host of other issues in OEM (stock) cables can limit the performance of the headphone driver in terms of clarity and definition.
Dragon Cables are handcrafted from quality materials in Moon Audio's offices in Cary, North Carolina. All of our cables are created with ultra pure, single-crystal silver and copper strands and engineered to provide the cleanest, most musical presentation. Our wire is void of impurities and crystalline boundaries, leaving nothing between you and your music.
Blue Dragon Sound Signature
The Blue Dragon is our value full size headphone cable. Using copper strands, it combines the neutrality of the Black Dragon with the clarity of the Silver Dragon at a lower price point. The Blue Dragon is a good fit for improving dynamics without adding coloration. Its calm and neutral sound make it a great place to start with premium cables.
For more information on finding your signature sound, visit our Sound Signature Guide.
For example, the Sennheiser HD600 has long been one of the best headphones for classical music on the high-end headphone market due to it's smooth, warm sound signature. The HD600 is not as dark and laid back as the Sennheiser HD650 and so the neutrality of the Blue Dragon V3 is the better fit for the HD600 signature. It is a great cable for a wide variety of music genres.
If you are using a very warm tube amp and a forward headphone, the Blue Dragon is also a good choice to keep the sound signature the same. The Blue Dragon V3 is also the most flexible of the full size headphone cables and makes a good choice for headphones that use a single entry connection point like many of the Ultrasone headphones.
The Blue Dragon Headphone Cable has been designed to match the Silver Dragon headphone cable but with a high purity copper conductor using the Ohno Continuous Casting Process. The Blue Dragon has the same geometry structure as the Silver Dragon only it uses UP-OCC pure copper. It is also the best bang for the buck custom headphone cable on the market today.
Each conductor of the Blue Dragon is made up of a special varying size stranding geometry. The copper stranding is mixed with Kevlar stranding to reinforce the conductor. This makes it stronger overall and less prone to failure due to the harsh constant flexing a headphone cable receives. The conductors are then surrounded by cotton and then a layer of Teflon tape.
This most recent version is now also shielded and placed in a polyethylene jacket for further protection. The Blue Dragon is also quieter than the previous version with no microphonics.
Hack Your Headphones
Dragon Cables are an easy do-it-yourself upgrade to your favorite headphones with detachable cables. With a wide array of connection options, a plug-and-play cable is just a few clicks away.
We also offer custom headphone hacks for your hard-wired cans, like many Grado, Sennheiser or AKG headphones. For more information on custom headphone modifications, visit our Hack Your Headphones portal.
"I like the...Moon Audio Blue Dragon. There are numerous cable makers out there...With cables, the devil is in the details, I strongly suggest using cable makers with long years of experience and a good reputation...If you have headphones with a hard-wired stock cable and would like to have them replaced, again, it is very important to find a reputable supplier who is very familiar and competent with this type of work. I'll happily recommend Moon Audio as one such supplier."— Tyll Hertsens, Innerfidelity.com, February 26, 2013.
This Blue Dragon headphone cable can be a replacement cable for Sennheiser HD800, HD650, HD600 and HD580 headphones or any other Sennheiser headphones that have the 2 pin connection system.
We also modify it for Ultrasone, Sony Qualia, and any other headphone that uses a connector attachment system. This headphone cable can also be hardwired to Grado's, and Audio Technica headphones. If it can be done, Moon Audio can modify it!
Moon Audio also recently added specialized "Blue Dragon" cables for Shure full size headphone models and the Sennheiser HD700.
- 4 x 24AWG
- Material 99.99998% UP-OCC Copper
- Varying Size Stranding
- Cardas Silver Solder
- Teflon, Foil, Braided Wire Shield
- Blue Polyethylene
- Fullsize Headphone
- Sound Signature
- Break-In Time
- 40 Hours
1 week ago
3 months ago
Headphone up grades.
5 months ago
9 months ago
I also equipped my dt1990 with a blue dragon cable. While there was an improvement, it was nowhere near as dramatic as with the hd600, because its stock cable was already seemingly high quality.
I'm under 30, so my ears are still pretty good, heres is what I hear differently with this cable on the beyerdynamic dt1990, I won't bother describing the hd600, because it's just a world of difference, everything is better, no need to go into any explanation or detail there:
- The first thing noticeable with the dt1990 is that you can hear the room of the music, the atmosphere. I didn't get this with the hd600, but I do with the dt1990s. It just shows what a fantastic driver Beyerdynamic put in there. With the beyers, the cable adds a "thickness" to the sound while still adding clearness and transparency; yes I couldn't imagine adding thickness do the sound without taking away from transparency either before.
- The 10khz treble peak which was upsetting to my ears on some tracks is not upsetting anymore. The headphone is still bright and the peak is definetely still there, but the highs are just soo clean and clear now that the treble peak is not upsetting. I almost wish there was more treble, it's just such clean treble idk how else to describe it. It just makes me want to listen louder and louder because it is never upsetting, just smooth, clear and clean, amazing.
- Better detail, with this you can hear more things happening without going into tryhard mode. Simple as that.
- Better/Wider Soundstage, now this is a point which seems to raise the most eyebrows with "cables don't matter"-critics. Here is what I say to them: An object appearing to be near or distant in the soundstage is a sonic property. This sonic property is quite minute, especially for objects close together in the soundstage. If you have more detail, you can better here these sonic properties. This cable preserves the sound better than the stock cable, thus preserving more detail. If you can't here it, your headphone, your amp/dac, your source material or your ears are just not good enough. Enough said.
That said, the soundstage becomes more 3-dimensional or speaker like because the difference between near and far objects is more apparent. I should note here that I did not get much of this soundstage improvement on the hd600, maybe because the driver isn't as fast and/or it's harder to reveal soundstage differences in an already narrow soundstage.
If your headphones have a cheap cable (like the hd600) or your headphones have a very good driver which can benefit from a high quality cable, the blue dragon will make you happy.
Oh yes; I bought a black dragon for the dt1990s first, which didn't complement it at all for my taste. Returning was simple and I got a full refund for the returned black dragon.