Warwick Acoustics Aperio Headphone System
The Warwick Acoustics APERIO is designed without compromise to set new standards in sound reproduction, and to redefine the level of audio performance achievable in a headphone system.
To Uncover, Open, Reveal
The model name for Warwick Acoustics’ flagship, reference headphone system is a literal match for our design goal: to reproduce and reveal all recorded audio content definitively, without alteration.
The APERIO is designed for the demanding professional audio market, as a reference studio monitor headphone system for High-Resolution Audio production, mastering, mixing and recording applications. Moreover, the APERIO is designed to be equally capable in ultra-high-end home consumer applications.
The APERIO reference headphone system strives to deliver the highest level of audio performance achievable, by means of our proprietary planar electrostatic technology.
The APERIO utilizes a highly-refined, evolutionary advancement of technology originally developed by Warwick Acoustics for it’s ground-breaking and multi-award-winning Sonoma Model One Headphone System.
Applications and Features
The APERIO is designed for demanding applications that require ultra-high resolution and higher output levels.
The APERIO has been optimized for resolving the most minute, low-level details present on any form of audio media. These capabilities must be achieved without inducing distortion artifacts and other anomalies, such as “listener fatigue”. Sound reproduction quality and audio performance should be identical at all listening levels.
The APERIO features a wide range of inputs, including balanced and unbalanced analog, AES3 (AES/EBU), S/PDIF Coaxial, USB and Ethernet (LAN).
The APERIO is unique in being a fully networkable product that exceeds typical DLNA limitations and allows digital audio reproduction of native or DoP 256 fs DSD and higher sample rate PCM formats to 384 kHz.
Within the APERIO all audio signals are kept in their native domain and format: analog always remains analog; DSD stays DSD until its final conversion to analog; PCM sample rates are never converted. The signal path is pure, as direct as possible and unadulterated.
The APERIO also features an exceptional Line Output section for driving other electronics and sound reproduction components that include outboard amplifiers and loudspeakers. Balanced and unbalanced outputs are capable of driving very long cables to the highest levels with prodigious current delivery. For studio applications, downstream components connected by 150-meter balanced cables can be driven to 15 dBu without distortion.
The Line Output feature, in conjunction with an uncompromised Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC), preamplifier functionality and outstanding audio fidelity, enable the APERIO to perform optimally as the central hub of a state-of-the-art, two-channel studio monitoring system or ultra-high-end home audio system.
The APERIO indicates its output level in precise 0.1 dB increments via a front panel full-color, high-resolution display. This display also alerts the user if any faults such as output clipping, overheating or disconnected cables are detected.
The APERIO’s firmware is updateable via its USB input, using a simple APP for any Windows / MAC / Linux-based host. This feature allows users to keep the APERIO current and up-to-date over its full lifetime.
The complete APERIO system, (headphone, electronics, accessories), is packaged in an exceptionally durable travel case, formed of heavy-duty Polypropylene.
This case is watertight, crushproof, and dustproof, and features an automatic pressure equalization valve that balances interior pressure, keeping water out. The case also features a retractable extension handle, stainless steel hardware and four polyurethane wheels. This rugged case provides complete protection of the entire APERIO system and enables it to be conveniently transportable.
|Designed to fit||All (Fits most brands)|
- Open-back; circumaural type
- Balanced-Drive High Precision Electrostatic Laminate (BD-HPEL)
- Effective Diaphragm Area
- 140.5 in2 (3570 mm2)
- Frequency Response
- 10 Hz - 60kHz
- Output Level (SPL)
- Compliant with EN 60065/A12:2011 (EN50332) when driven by APERIO electronics (for all inputs)
Digitial Input: ~104 dB;br />Analog Input: ≥106 dB (continuous, est.)
- Ear and Headband Cushions
- "Cabretta" top-grain, sheepsin leatehr;
perforated surface on ear cushions
- Polarized, 4-pin, self-latching connectors for left and right channels
- Drive Cable
- Dual Mono, shielded, ultra-low capacitance;
Silver-plated OFHC ultra-fine stranded copper with silicone insulationand Kevlar reinforcement;
- 14 oz. (399 grams) without cable
- Balanced Analog Inputs
- Dual (female) XLR jacks; switchable (high / low) input range; 18 dBu / 10 dBu
- Unbalanced Analog Inputs
- Dual RCA jacks; switchable (high / low) input range; 5.0 Vrms / 2.1 Vrms
- USB Digital Input
- Type B jack; USB 2.0; accepts digital audio formats up to 32-bit / 384 kHz PCM and DSD (DSD64/DSD128/DSD256) via DoP or Native
- Network (Ethernet LAN) Digital Input
- RJ45 jack; DLNA-compatible; accepts digital audio formats up to 32-bit / 384 kHz
PCM and DSD (DSD64/DSD128/DSD256) via DoP or Native
- AES3 (AES/EBU) Digital Input
- XLR (female) jack; accepts digital audio formats up to 24-bit/192 kHz PCM
- S/PDIF Coaxial Digital Input
- RCA jack; accepts digital audio formats up to 24-bit/192 kHz PCM
- Line Outputs
- Balanced and unbalanced, high current outputs; +5 dB gain; switchable
- Digital Formats
- PCM: 16-32 bit / up to 384 kHz; DSD: up to 256 fs DoP and Native
- HP only: digital EQ (DSP) for PCM sources; analog EQ for analog and DSD sources
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- 64-bit (double-precision) fixed-point processing at native sample rates
- Switchable Gain
- Rear panel switch; high level / low level selection for balanced analog input (professional audio and consumer levels) and unbalance analog input
- Source Selection
- Multi-position front panel selector with indicator LEDs for all sources
- Level Control
- Front panel, 31-position; digital and analog domain colume control (HP & Line Out)
- Status Display
- Front panel, 51mm, full color, QVGA, TFT LCD (240 x 320 pixels)
- Display Functions
- Digital readout and bar graph of volume control setting; display of digital audio data format; display of rear panel analog input (gain) settings; display of Ethernet and USB data link transmission lock; display of detected fault modes and output clipping
- Auto Fault Detection
- Automatic detection, display and protection for: output amplifier clipping, unplugged connections and malfunctioning wiring, over-temperature conditions and internal electrical faults
- 2 x dual mono, 32-bit / 384 kHz DACs with balanced outputs, for PCM & DSD inputs
- Balanced, discrete MOSFET, high-bias, single-ended Class A output; dual mono topology, including power supple; 18 00 CDC bias (charge) voltage
- Distortion + Noise
- >65 kHz
- CNC-machined 6063 aluminum
- Power Supply
- External: world voltage compatible (90-264 Volt AC, 50-60 Hz); 24 Volt DC, 200 VA (8.333 A), fixed frequency, class B-compliant SMPS;
Internal: isolated, dual mono; switching and ultra-low-noise linear regulation
- Types B, G, F, I; IEC-60320 C14, earth- grounded power cable; 1.5 meter length
- H x W x D: 68 mm (2.68 in.) x 413 mm (16.26 in.) x 351 mm (13.82 in.)
- 7.4 kg (16.28 lbs.), without Power Supply
NOTE: All specifications shown are subject to change without notice.