Setup Tips for the Chord Electronics Mojo DAC/AMP
A popular question at Moon Audio is:
“How do I set up sound properties for the Chord Mojo on Windows & MAC?"
Chord Electronics is one of our most popular brands at Moon Audio, and for good reason – they are incredibly well made and deliver phenomenal performance to your audio setup. Setting the correct Sound properties on Windows PCs or Apple Macbooks is how to achieve optimal Chord Mojo or other Universal Serial Bus (USB) Digital Analog Converter (DAC) sound quality to headphones or speakers. Setting up your Chord Mojo is easy too with our How-To Guide.
What is the Chord Mojo? Mobile Joy
The Chord Mojo is a small, smartphone-friendly, and powerful DAC amp.
Chord Electronics’ Mojo (which stands for ’Mobile Joy’) digital to analog converter (DAC) and headphone amplifier creates a new approach to high-end digital audio sound via headphones and in-ear monitors (IEMs). The Mojo is a true reference-quality mobile DAC and a high-level amplifier whose sound rivals DACs at twenty times the price.
The Mojo drives any headphones between 4 ohms and 800 ohms 9so most headphones). Mojo can drive two pairs of headphones simultaneously as well, and works with any music file from 44.1kHz up to 768kHz and DoP DSD files: DSD 64, DSD 128, and DSD 256.
Chord Mojo & USB DAC Setup Guide
Hugo + Windows PC
Download the Chord Mojo Driver from the following directory (link below). Install the driver on your Windows Vista, 7, 8 or higher PC (be sure to install the correct driver for your computer).
How to Install (Windows)
(This example is installing the Chord driver for use with Windows)
In order for your mac or pc to utilize the Mojo you must select it as the source. This is not an issue with the Mojo but rather a settings configuration that will need to be done on the computer. Please follow these instructions. The blog for the Chord Hugo can also be referenced since the settings and configuration steps are the same for the Chord Mojo. For instructions on setting up your Chord Hugo, please see the following guide: Chord Hugo Setup Guide
- Plug in your Chord Mojo to your computer using a USB-A to micro B USB cable.
- Power on the Chord Mojo
- Most Windows 10 computers will automatically download a working USB driver, but be sure to install the available driver directly from Chord so that you can be assured everything works as intended. When automatically installing the driver in Windows 10, your computer will prompt you that the Mojo is "set up and ready to go." (See image below)
- Install the downloaded driver file onto your computer. You might be prompted to restart the computer for settings to take effect, if so, restart your computer.
Configuring Your Mojo
- Open the Control Panel on your computer.
- Click on Hardware and Sound.
- Right Click on the Chord Mojo.
- Click Properties.
- Rename "General the tab" to Chord Mojo.
- Click "Apply"
Click on Mojo Supported Formats and make sure your computer mirrors the settings in the image below. Be sure to check off all resolutions to ensure that your Chord Mojo can playback various audio resolutions.
Now go to the "Advanced" tab.
- Set resolution format to 32 bit, 384000 Hz (the max option). It is a good idea to maximize the resolution anytime you connect a USB DAC. If your DAC only has lower resolution formats then go ahead and select the maximum option.
- Check the exclusive modes. Checking exclusive modes allows programs like JRiver to bypass the Windows Sound Properties and take over the sound control.
Set the Chord Mojo as the default device and click "Apply."
How to Install (Mac OS)
(This example is installing the the Chord driver for use with Mac OS)
Mojo + Mac OS:
On Apple Mac OS, iOS for iPhone/iPad and Android, no drivers are required to change the sound properties. To fine-tune the audio output, go to the Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) by navigating to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.
(NOTE that this image is for the Hugo setup - Mojo will work in exactly the same way, showing up as an audio out option in the menu below like the Hugo)
- Configure the audio setup for the Chord Mojo in this window.
- You can configure your audio sample rate here too (for USB DACs).
- The Mojo automatically defaults to 384 kHz and DSD 64/128 if your playback software/app can support it.
- Therefore, you should not have to configure the sample rates if you are using the Mojo.
- Here is the Apple Online Support link for the Audio MIDI Setup if you need additional information.
Using Mojo with JRiver
If you are using JRiver to handle your music catalog with the Chord Mojo, Hugo or any USB DAC, in version 10.0.115 of JRiver Media the screen looks like this:
To set up the Chord mojo or another sound device, go to:
Set up with the following attributes:
- Buffering - select "50 milliseconds" and check the box for "use large hardware buffers"
- Volume - select "Digital Output (Chord Async USB 44.1kHz-..."
- Tools - check the box beside "DSD bitstream in DoP format"
These are all the Sound Properties changes that you need to make when using the Mojo or another USB DAC with Windows or Mac. If you would like more information or want to discuss how the Mojo can improve your headphone and music listening via headphones or speakers, we'd love to help you. If you need cables to connect your Chord Mojo or DAC, see our Audio Cables for Chord blog post. If you have any questions about installing the Chord drivers, please feel free to Contact Us! Happy Listening!