A New Generation of Tabletop DACs and Advanced Standalone Upscaling
Drew reviews the updates and features in the new Chord Hugo TT 2 desktop DAC and the Hugo M Scaler, comparing sound quality and technology with the Hugo DAVE. More product details below.
Chord Electronics Hugo TT 2 DAC and Headphone Amplifier
The Chord Hugo TT 2 has been radically redesigned from the ground up. Featuring 5 times the power of the original Hugo TT and double that of the Hugo 2. As expected, it delivers radically improved technical specifications and measurements across the board and exhibits drastic sonic benefits over its predecessor. The Hugo TT 2 also brings home the beloved four-stage user-selectable filter controls introduced with Hugo 2 and retains the three-stage user-selectable digital crossfeed function for headphone users who want to improve the perception of depth, similar to that of speakers.
Improvements from original TT to the TT 2:
- No more batteries. Includes external power supply and uses a large capacitor supply bank to load for peak demands in music. *Chord Electronics will not cover the device if you damage it using your own linear power supply
- Bluetooth antenna has been upgraded from A2DP Bluetooth to aptX Bluetooth.
- Added additional dithering filters curves to sharpen or soften the digital filter based on personal preferences
- Updated crossfeed circuit
- Increased Digital Tap Length
- Added gain setting readout
- Short warm-up time (10-15min)
- Lots of power - will drive any headphone on the market today with peak performance
For more details and specs on the Chord Electronics Hugo TT 2 click HERE.
Chord Electronics Hugo M Scaler
The Hugo M Scaler is a highly advanced standalone upscaler capable of redefining sound quality from digital audio. It uses Rob Watts’ (our Digital Design Consultant’s) unique filter technology, the most advanced in the world, to upscale standard 44.1kHz digital audio up to 705.6kHz (16x CD’s 44.1kHz native resolution). Afterwards, it can be passed to a suitable DAC; the Hugo M Scaler extends its upscaling performance to 768kHz (from 96kHz input data) for our dual-BNC-input DACs: DAVE, Qutest and the new Hugo TT 2.
The Hugo M Scaler’s compact form factor aligns with the TT (Table Top) series and has been designed to be stackable with other units, including the Hugo TT 2. Both units combined set an astonishing technical benchmark for digital audio performance, redefining sound quality from digital audio, all while saving valuable real estate.
For more details and specs on the Chord Electronics Hugo M Scaler click HERE.
- Sound quality of the TT 2 is very close to the DAVE, though not as detailed and resolving, but warmer and more musical
- Adding the M Scaler to the TT 2 puts it almost on par with the DAVE
- Both M Scaler and Hugo TT 2 support DOP, Native Resolution, PCM 384 kHz and PCM 768 kHz
- The Hugo 2 requires a special cable for the 3.5mm dual data input, so we developed a Black Dragon Mini Coax Cable to connect it to the M Scaler
"Tapping Into Better Digital Audio" by Keith Howard analyzes Rob Watts' theories of why upsampling filters are so critical to remarkable digital audio playback. He also provides more details about how the M Scaler works with other Chord products. We can also make custom cabling solutions based on your personal audio needs. From RCA or XLRs on the TT 2 to go to your sensitive bookshelf speakers if you want to utilize them. We'll be releasing new content on the Chord Electronics Hugo TT 2 and the Hugo M Scaler in the coming weeks so be sure to check back often. If you have any additional questions or comments, please reach out to us! Happy listening.