Sony DMP-Z1 Digital Music Player
Reproduce even the subtlest nuances of studio-quality sound with the DMP-Z1. Crafted for High-Resolution Audio, better than CD quality, with fidelity that's just as the artist intended.
The sound your music truly deserves
For the ultimate audio fidelity, the DMP-Z1 music player combines cutting edge technical innovations with the finest materials and attention to detail.
Audio perfection, wherever you are
Every component of the DMP-Z1 has been meticulously crafted to deliver power, fidelity, and purity of sound.
Every note as the artist intended
Take your digital music collection to a new level with High-Resolution Audio. By capturing and reproducing digital audio at a higher rate than CD (24-bit/192 kHz and beyond), High-Resolution Audio allows you to get closer to the original studio recording.
Lose nothing in translation
The DMP-Z1 supports files up to DSD native 11.2 MHz and PCM playback up to 384 kHz/32-bit, which means all the authentic detail of the original recording is retained.
0.17" balanced connection and 0.14" headphone jack engineered with KIMBER KABLE®
Clear stereo separation and soundstaging is delivered by a 0.17" balanced headphone jack which is compatible with a broad range of premium headphones. Internal wiring for both the 0.17" and standard, unbalanced, 0.14" jacks use thick KIMBER KABLE® for signal integrity.
Gold-plated analog rotary volume controller
Enjoy stereo channel precision right to the headphone output with the custom-crafted passive-balanced volume potentiometer. Copper and gold-plated brass ensures absolute sonic purity across all dynamic levels.
Dual DAC stereo architecture
Exceptional stereo imaging and an enhanced dynamic range is delivered through two independent AK4497EQ mono Digital-Analog Converters (DACs), especially when matched with balanced headphone listening. An exceptionally low noise floor and native support for High-Resolution Audio formats ensures absolutely pristine analog audio translation.
High-quality analog amplifier
By incorporating an audiophile-grade, high-power headphone amplifier, the DMP-Z1 realizes 1500 mW (16Ω) 1 to drive even the most demanding headphones.
Pure audio everywhere with an independent power system and built-in battery
Five battery cells drive both digital and analog amplification circuits independently for enhanced dynamics and reduced internal electromagnetic interference. By isolating the power delivery from conventional AC power supplies, you enjoy both a more open treble response and tighter bass delivery, without the harshness transmitted through AC line noise.
Isolated circuit board reduces noise
To keep sound transparent and minimize distortion, the analog board is separated from the digital board on the H-shaped chassis. This cuts noise and realizes solid ground.
Rigid aluminum milled frame structure
To ensure minimal resonance and vibration are transmitted between the isolated boards, all circuit boards of the DMP-Z1 are mounted on a solid, frame-based chassis. This lessens external electrical or seismic interference so each circuit can achieve optimal performance. The chassis is made using a milling and blasting process and is finished with a coating of Almite.
Give all PCM music the DSD treatment with DSD Remastering Engine
PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) audio is resampled into a 5.6 MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital) ultra-high-frequency 1-bit audio stream. The single-bit stream delivered to the DAC has a character far closer to that of analog—so your music is delivered exactly as the artist intended.
Give every track the sound of vinyl with Vinyl Processor
Get lost again in the richness of the melodies and dynamics of your favorite albums by giving back the character of vinyl to your digital tracks. Subtle reproduction of low-frequency tone-arm resonance, surface and scratch noise, and resonance on the vinyl deliver an authentic listening experience.
New DSEE HXTM analyzes song type by AI
Audio upscaling is improved even further by our new DSEE HXTM processor which intelligently recognizes instruments, voices, and musical genres. By identifying these and the relative energy of the audio, it can accurately rebuild audio lost during digital compression for a full fidelity experience, even with compressed formats.
See everything with a mirror-finished aluminum panel
For added clarity the LCD panel is made from polished glass — coupled with aluminum panels and a gold-plated volume control, the DMP-Z1 shines sleekly like a glass mirror.
USB DAC Function for higher-quality music
When connected using the supplied USB cable, the DMP-Z1 replaces your computer's regular sound processing with its own highly-tuned hardware for premium sound quality.
BLUETOOTH® Receiver mode boosts smartphone music
Stream music through the DMP-Z1 via BLUETOOTH® connection and a smartphone connection to give all your music a DMP-Z1 boost. Favourite tracks will benefit from digital to analogue audio conversion and DSEE HXTM upscaling, as well as the Vinyl Processor and Equaliser etc.2
256GB internal storage & micro SD slots
There’s room for all your music with 256GB internal storage and 2x micro SD slots.3
Powered for exceptional sound anywhere
There's enough battery power for up to approximately 10 hours of playback for non High Resolution and approximately 9 hours of playback for High Resolution. You can also switch to AC power when needed.4
- 5.44" W x 2.69" H x 10.98" D (138.0 mm x 68.1 mm x 278.7 mm)
- 87.84 oz (2,490 g)
- Battery Life*
- 8-10 hours continuous playback
- CHARGING TIME (QUICK CHARGE)
- BUILT-IN BATTERY
- Built-in Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery
- CHARGING AND POWER SUPPLY
- AC adapter (supplied)
- DC IN CHARGING
- Approx. 4 hrs
- 256 GB, Micro SD card x 2 slots, Micro SD, Micro SDHC, Micro SDXC
- MUSIC SEARCHING METHODS
- All Songs Artist Release Year Playlists Album Genre Composer Hi-Res Recent Transfers SensMe Channels Folder
- MUSIC PLAY MODE
- Shuffle Playback, Repeat Off, Repeat 1 Song, Repart All, All Range, Selected Range
- DRAG AND DROP
- DISPLAY RESOLUTION
- 3.1" (7.8 cm), WVGA (800 x 480 Pixels)
- DISPLAY TYPE
- TFT color display
- SOUND EFFECTS
- Direct source (Direct), 10 band equalizer, tone control, DSEE HX, Dynamic Normalizer, Vinyl Processor
- 20–40,000 Hz
- MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW)
- Stereo mini-jack: 570 mW + 570 mW (High Gain)
Balanced standard-jack: 1,500 mW + 1,500 mW (High Gain)
- OPERATING SYSTEM
- Sony original OS
- DIGITAL NOISE CANCELING
- USB DAC MODE
- Headphone Terminals
- Stereo mini-jack, Balanced standard-jack, USB Type-C port, High-Speed USB (USB 2.0 compliant)
- Wireless Capabilities
- Communication system: Bluetooth® Specification Version 4.2
Supported Bluetooth profiles: A2DP, AVRCP
Supported Codecs (Transmission): SBC, LDAC, aptX, aptX HD
Supported Codecs (Reception): SBC, LDAC, AAC
- Supported Formats**
- MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV, AAC, HE-AAC, Apple Lossless, AIFF, DSD, APE, MQA
- USB Type-C™cable (USB-A to USB-C)
- AC adapter ACDP-045L01
- AC power cord*
- Carrying case
- Cleaning cloth
- Startup Guide
- Instruction Manual
- *BATTERY LIFE — CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC
- MP3 (128 kbps)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 10 hrs, MP3 (128 kbps)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 10 hrs, AAC (256 kbps)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 10 hrs, AAC (256 kbps)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 10 hrs, FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs, FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs, FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 8 hrs, FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 8 hrs, DSD (2.8224 MHz/1 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs, DSD (2.8224 MHz/1 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs, DSD (5.6448 MHz/1 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs, DSD (5.6448 MHz/1 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs, DSD (11.2896 MHz/1 bit)/Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs, DSD (11.2896 MHz/1 bit)/Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs
- BATTERY LIFE — CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC NOTES
- The values shown in this topic represent the approximate battery life when content is played continuously using the default settings.
Even if the player is turned off for an extended period, a small amount of battery power is still consumed.
Battery life may vary depending on the volume setting, conditions of use and ambient temperature.
The battery is consumed considerably when the screen is on.
The battery life may be shortened by about 10% when some of the sound quality settings are active.
A Bluetooth connection will shorten the battery life by up to 45% depending on the following conditions.
Format of the content.
Settings of the connected device.
- **AUDIO PLAYBACK
- MP3 ( .MP3): 32–320 kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR))/32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
WMA (.WMA): 32–192 kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR))/44.1 kHz
FLAC (.flac): 16 bit, 24 bit/8–384 kHz
WAV (.WAV): 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit (Float/Integer)/8–384 kHz
AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 16–320 kbps/8–48 kHz
HE-AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 32–144 kbps/8–48 kHz
Apple Lossless ( .mp4, .m4a): 16 bit, 24 bit/8–384 kHz
AIFF (.aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc): 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit/ 8–384 kHz
DSD (.dsf, .dff): 1 bit/2.8224 MHz, 5.6448 MHz, 11.2896 MHz
APE (.ape): 8 bit, 16 bit, 4 bit/8–192 kHz (Fast, Normal, High)
MQA (.mqa.flac): Supported
- AUDIO PLAYBACK NOTES
- Copyright protected files cannot be played back.
Sampling frequency may not correspond to all encoders.
Non-standard bit rates or non-guaranteed bit rates are included depending on the sampling frequency.
Files that are 4 GB (APE is 2 GB) or larger cannot be played back.
This product recognizes audio sources exceeding CD quality (44.1 kHz/16 bit quantization) and DAT quality (48 kHz/16 bit quantization) as High-resolution Audio. The "HR" symbol is displayed for high-resolution audio sources.