Focal Elegia Closed Back Headphones
Introducing Elegia, the first closed-back headphone from Focal. Featuring a driver with a copper voice coil and a dedicated surround, the Elegia provides an intimate sound bubble of absolute sound, even in a noisy environment.
- 1 hard-shell carrying case: 10" x 9" x 5" (250mm x 240mm x 120mm)
- 1 four-feet (1.2m) OFC 24 AWG cable with asymmetrical 3.5mm TRS Jack connector
- 3.5mm female Jack adaptor - 6.35mm male
- High-end closed-back headphones for home and on-the-go use
- Exclusive full-range speaker drivers with an M-shaped aluminum/magnesium dome (patent pending)
- Incredible tonal balance, reproduction of the tiniest sound details at both very high and very low frequencies
- Excellent performance when connected to a portable audiophile player
- Very good ambient noise soundproofing
- Comfortable and ergonomic
- Perforated microfiber leather headband
- Solid aluminum yoke which molds to head
- 1.57" (40mm) M-shape aluminum/magnesium dome with full-range speaker driver
- Very low impedance (35ohms) to ensure uncompromising use with portable audio players
- 0.14" (3.5mm) jack sockets with locking mechanism
- .79" (20mm) memory foam earpad covered with microfiber fabric
- 0.14" (3.5mm) stereo jack plug and .014" (3.5mm) to 0.25" (6.35mm) jack adapter provided
- Circum-aural closed back headphones
- 35 Ohms
- 105 dB SPL / 1 mW @ 1kHz
- 0.1% @ 1kHz / 100 dB SPL
- Frequency Response
- 5 Hz-23kHz
- Speaker Driver
- 1.57" (40mm) M-shape Aluminum/Magnesium dome
- 0.95 lbs (430 g)
- Provided Cable
- 3.94 feet (1.2m) asymmetric cable (0.14" - 3.5mm TRS jack)
0.14" (3.5mm) to 0.25" (6.35mm) stereo jack adapter
Thanks to the Incredible Team at Moon Audio for their assistance throughout the sales and shipping process.
Will be back for more purchases soon.
4 months ago
10 months ago
9 months ago
Focal Elegia to the rescue. After extended listening to Focal Elegia powered by my Chord Hugo, using my iPad streaming Tidal, and with Silver Dragon cables Focal's new headphones sound great. Soundstage and instrument separation is excellent. Elegia’s warmth and low-end is spectacular.
I listened to Speaking In Tongues by Talking Heads, Bright Sized Life by Pat Metheny, and Clean by Soccer Mommy. Sophie Allison’s voice provided the most dramatic Elegia demonstration. Allison’s voice is quiet, refined, and whispy. Soccer Mommy’s expert band can overwhelm tossing Allison’s vocals to the wind. Not so much when listening with Elegia + Silver Dragon + Hugo.
Hearing Allison’s breath as she breaks “park” into two syllables on Scorpio Rising is worth the price of admission. Hearing Julian Powell’s fingers slide to the next chord is a huge bonus. Warming Talking Heads art school funk was priceless and hearing Jaco Pastorius’ base as if he was playing next to me cemented Elegia’s sound, reputation, and inspiration.
Does Elegia sound as symphonic as Utopia equipped with Black Dragon cables? No, but these are the best closed-back headphones I’ve heard and they cost a couple grand less than Utopia. If I was in an airport I’d want Elegia. If I had the means, at home I’d listen to Utopia.
Read my October 2018 Elegia review on Moon Audio's blog for more about how Talking Heads, Pat Metheny, and Soccer Mommy sounded in Focal's newest headphones.