Custom Headphone Cable Adapter Guide
You CAN have it ALL...
headphone adapter cables for ULTIMATE flexibility.
Moon Audio hand crafts adapter cables for most headphones
1. Better sound.
2. Use one main headphone cable with your headphone.
3. Just add or "plug in" adapter cables for "on the go" listening.
4. Quick changes between amplifiers and devices.
5. Save money.
The Switchcraft 4pin mini male XLR (labeled #1 to the right) is a balanced connector.
This balanced connector offers separate: left and right, positive and negative connection points.
IMPORTANT: Balanced is important because it allows the user to switch balanced and a single ended headphone connections.
This picture to the left illustrates the adapter cables are "plug and play" to the main headphone cable.
The Fostex TH-900 headphones here to the left have a hardwired Silver Dragon V3 Headphone Cable to the drivers of the headphones and a 6" Silver Dragon V3 Adapter Cable powered by the Chord Hugo usb dac and headphone amp.
These three are a phenomenal, synergistic sound setup for any music enthusiast!
WARNING: You cannot convert a single ended connection into balanced.
Adapter cables provide an endless selection of options for all of your devices.
Here are three 6" adapter cables with various connections. Portable setups work best with short adapter cables.
This helps with the ergonomics of smaller portable footprints.
4 Steps to Enjoy the music with adapter cables
1. Choose your main headphone cable terminated to your headphones such as: Audeze, Fostex, Grado or Sennheiser. (we have many more options)
2. Terminate the source end with the Switchcraft 4 pin mini XLR.
3. Add your adapter cables for your home and portable devices.
4. Plug the 4 pin mini female XLR (on the left) into the 4 pin mini male XLR on the main headphone cable.
Many headphone amp vendors are using uncommon output jacks or connectors these days.
Here is the Ray Samuels SR71b headphone amplifier with an uncommon output jack called the SR71b.
1. This deepens the need of custom adapter cables for the headphone enthusiast.
2. We can build you an adapter cable for each amplifier and device.
3. For your home balanced headphone amp, we can build a 10' or 20' cable to reach from your favorite listening chair.
The Audeze LCD-3 headphones to the right include 5 custom adapter cables.
1. There is one Silver Dragon V3 headphone cable with the balanced Switchcraft connector.
2. This 12" adapter cable has an 1/4" connector for a Chord Hugo.
3. This 12" adapter cable with a 4 pin male XLR is for a Bryston BHA-1 balanced headphone amp.
5. This 6" adapter cable with an 1/8" connector is for most portable amps such as the Vorzuge Pure II.
Here are the Ultrasone Edition 8 headphones.
1. First, we replaced the stock cable with a 5ft Silver Dragon V3 Headphone cable that utilizes a Switchcraft Mini 4 pin Male XLR.
2. This is a 6″ Silver Dragon V3 adapter cable with the RSA Balanced plug.
The RSA balanced plug is used with Ray Samuels SR71b amplifier or a Cypher Labs Theorem or Duet. These are all balanced portable headphone amps.
3. The 2nd 6″ Silver Dragon Adapter Cable has a mini 1/8″ plug for single ended portable amplifiers or direct connection to a portable media player like the iPod.
4. The 3rd cable in the picture is a Silver Dragon LOD cable.
COMING SOON *Look for a new LOD (line out doc) version for the iPhone 5 and 6 utilizing the Apple Lightning connector.