Matrix Audio recently came out with a new firmware update for the X-Sabre Pro (MQA) DAC - featuring updates to both MCU and XMOS sections of the unit:
X-SABRE PRO (MQA) MCU v2.5 Firmware Update:
- Optimization of the MCU firmware according to the XMOS firmware changes;
- Optimization of the UI on the device screen when playback from an MQA source.
X-SABRE PRO (MQA) XMOS V3.01 Firmware Update:
- Improvement and optimization of MQA decoding and rendering performance.
*THIS UPDATE IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC, NOT FOR THE NON-MQA VERSION OF THE X-SABRE PRO DAC. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO APPLY THIS FIRMWARE TO ANY OTHER MODELS.
Instructions to Update the Firmware
Click the following URL to download the upgrade tool and new firmware files:
WARNING: During the update process, please ensure the X-SABRE Pro (MQA) DAC is connected to the PC with a USB cable and the power supply connection is reliable. Unexpected power supply failure or disconnection will cause the device firmware to be damaged and may not work properly.
Part 1: MCU v2.5 Firmware Update
Press and hold the upgrade button on the rear panel, then plug in the power cable, release the upgrade button until the screen shows "Upgrade Mode", as shown below:
2. Connect the X-SABRE Pro (MQA) to PC via USB port, the screen will show “USB Active”, as shown below:
3. Run the update tool "Matrix_Audio_DAC_DFU_V1.0.exe", when the X-SABRE Pro (MQA) is connected and recognized by the program, it will show as the following picture:
4. Load the updated image file X-SABRE_Pro_MQA_v2.5.hex, as shown below:
5. Click the "Erase/Program/Verify" button to start the update. The DFU tool will notify you when the update is finished:
6. After the update finished successfully, click the "Reset" button.
Current firmware version could be checked at setting menu, it will display as the following picture when updated successfully:
7. The X-SABRE Pro (MQA) will enter standby mode after reset, now you can wake it up and proceed with the following steps.
Part 2: XMOS v3.01 Firmware Update
1. Turn on the X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC and connect it to PC with a USB cable, run "Matrix_AudioDfu.exe" which can be found in driver installer files. Click the following URL to download the latest driver and DFU tool.
When the device is recognized by the DFU tool correctly, the current firmware version will be displayed as shown below:
2. Browse and find XMOS firmware file X-SABRE_Pro_MQA_XMOS_v3.01.bin, click “Start” button:
3. Several seconds later, the program will notify you that the upgrade finished, and the current firmware should display as v3.01, as shown below:
4. Reboot the X-SABRE Pro (MQA) after the firmware update.
Learn more about the Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA DAC:
If you have any questions about installing the latest firmware, please leave a comment below and we'll be happy to help you. Happy listening!