Huei Phono Stage from Chord Electronics
The Chord Huei brings 30 Years of amplifier development to your turntable
This week Chord Electronics unveiled the Huei (pronounced "hyoo-ee") - a new high-performance phono preamp for integrating your turntable into your system. What's also impressive is that they fit all this technology into a chassis no larger than the Qutest.
The Huei is proudly conceived, engineered and manufactured in Great Britain. It includes both moving magnet and moving coil functionality, as well as compatibility with a large number of cartridges thanks to comprehensive gain and impedance-matching options. The Huei also adds even more flexibility with high and low-gain switching settings, accessible via front panel controls.
Huei’s advanced design offers (for the first time in a Chord Electronics phono preamp) ultra-low-noise microprocessor control of its main features, including a convenient memory function. With multiple options for impedance-matching, seven-stage switchable gain and a switchable rumble filter, Huei’s design offers comprehensive compatibility.
Precision-machined from solid aircraft-grade aluminum billet, Huei has a similar form factor to the company’s Qutest DAC and also offers a top-mounted viewing window into the illuminated electronics within. The design also shares the same polychromatic control spheres the company has become known for in its digital products. The illuminated front-panel spheres offer direct access to Huei’s gain and impedance settings, selection for MM/MC cartridges and access to the on-board rumble filter.
Huei is a stylish, practical and high-performance solution for integrating turntables into Chord Electronics’ (and other) systems and features both balanced (RCA) and unbalanced outputs (XLR) with RCA inputs. A high-quality 12V external power supply is also supplied.
- Supported cartridges: Moving magnet and moving coil
- Selectable impedance: 30Ω, 100Ω, 5kΩ, and 4.7pf
- Selectable gain: 60dB, 65dB, and 70dB
- Inputs: 1x Stereo unbalanced RCA input
- Outputs: 1x Stereo unbalanced RCA output; 1x Stereo balanced output
- Input impedance: 30ohm-47kohms, 50pF-1uF
- Input noise: 1.1nV/Hz
- Max output voltage: 10V RMS equalization
- Gain range: 0dBV-75dBV
- Equalization response: RIAA curve; Equalization accuracy: +/- 0.1dB
- Frequency response: RIAA curve = 12Hz to 25kHz
- Rumble filter: Rausch Slope -24dB per octave below 50Hz
- Output impedance: 520ohms (resistive)
- Input power supply: 12V 100V to 240V 50/60Hz PSU
- Dimensions/weight: 160mm (W) x 43mm (D) x72 (H); 770g
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The Huei is priced at $1495 USD and will be available in late summer (black only).
We'll be releasing more information on the Chord Electronics Huei Phono Stage as it gets closer to release. If you have any questions, leave a comment below. Happy listening!