Astell&Kern KANN Cube DAP Music Player
Expected Arrival May 31st
KANN CUBE is the second model of the KANN line, which focuses on high fidelity with powerful output and low noise. The newly designed powerful amplifier and audio circuitry have been strategically implemented to offer a very low noise floor, even with its massive power output, making it an Audio Powerhouse capable of driving the most power-hungry headphones.
- ESS ES9038PRO SABRE 8-Channel Dual DAC
- Three Audio Output Modes, Up to 12V of Power
- Designed for Pro Audio Equipment
- Quad-Core CPU
- Supports Low/Mid/High performance modes (up to 12V)
- 5-pin Mini XLR (4Vrms)
- Internal Storage: 128GB
- 5.0" 720x1280 HD Touchscreen
- Aluminum body
- 8-hour battery life
- 32bit/384kHz, Native DSD256 Support
- Open APP Service for music streaming options
Absolute Audio Powerhouse
KANN CUBE offers 3 different power output options of High / Mid / Low, which can drive any headphone with unprecedented power never seen before in any portable device - 12Vrms for Balanced output and 6Vrms for Unbalanced output. To provide a natural and neutral audio experience with minimal distortion, a newly designed OP Amp and Volume IC manages power optimally and efficiently.
A Comparison of outputs of KANN CUBE vs KANN vs AK380+AMP
ESS ES9038PRO SABRE Dual DACs
KANN CUBE uses two 8-channel DACs, the ES9038PRO, one for the left and one for the right channel. As each DAC chip sends out 8 channels of audio signal through the Astell&Kern Analog AMP Block, you experience unlimited sound stage and the full depth of the original performance.
About ESS SABRE PRO DAC
The ESS SABRE PRO series of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) is targeted for premium audiophile and professional recording studio equipment. The SABRE PRO series sets a new benchmark in high-end audio by offering the industry's highest dynamic range (DNR) with impressively low levels of total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N) in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC. All PRO SABRE DACs feature ESS's patented 32-bit HyperStream DAC technology which delivers outstanding sound quality and industry-leading performance.
ESS DAC Line-Up
ESS has two major lines of DAC chips – the ‘SABER PRO’ for audiophile systems and ‘SABER HIFI’ for mobile devices, such as the LG V10, V20, V30 smartphones or Onkyo DAPs. The SABER PRO DACs are seldom used for DAPs and are primarily used with Pro-Audio systems or traditional Hi-Fi products. The ES9038PRO is the latest DAC from ESS and the SABER PRO line. KANN CUBE is the first DAP device to adopt the SABER PRO DACs in a dual DAC configuration, dedicating 8-channels for the left and 8-channels for the right side.
5-pin Mini XLR Output for Even Less Noise
KANN CUBE offers a 5-pin mini XLR connector for the first time in an Astell&Kern player. Thanks to the even lower noise floor and higher audio output through the XLR connection, you can enjoy pure, clear audio playback. It offers easier connection to your home audio systems and active speakers with balanced connections.
Enhanced Audio Processing Power with Quad-core CPU
Some may think that only sound matters in Hi-Fi systems. While it does matter greatly, there are other factors that influence your immersive music experience as well. KANN CUBE is designed to remove any distracting elements, including noise, distortion and unintuitive user interface.
The Quad-core CPU gives you even more processing power for your digital music and a lot faster, natural UI experience. Get lost in your music without distractions.
Ultimate Sound Quality
The latest ESS ES9038PRO dual-DAC design and the upgraded CPU in the KANN CUBE allows for accurate playback of native 32bit/384kHz audio with no compromise on sound quality. The music is played back, bit-for-bit, just as the artist and engineer intended for it to be heard.
KANN CUBE also supports native bit-to-bit DSD playback up to 11.2MHz for the best sound possible.
32-Bit Bit-to-Bit Playback by KANN CUBE
32-Bit Playback by Other Players
Using Open APP Service
The Open APP Service enables you to install specific APK music streaming apps to the device. Copy the desired APK into the Open Service folder of the product and install the relevant App in the Menu > Services of the player.
Supported apps include Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, Spotify, Amazon music, Pandora, SoundCloud, TuneIn Radio, myTuner, Sirius XM, DS Audio, Bandcamp, Melon, Bugs, Music Mate, AWA, QQ Music, KK BOX, KT genie, Joox and Moov.
The isolated sides of the rectangles on KANN CUBE are not simply for looks. They emphasize the role of the device by placing the player’s functions in the correct place for a more intuitive interface and better usability, while also providing a sense of aesthetic stability. The pursuit of connectivity and consistency of form and function is at the core of Astell&Kern's design philosophy.
Combining Astell&Kern’s player performance with the high-powered AMP, KANN CUBE can produce the most powerful performance in the Astell&Kern player lineup and is designed to deliver a heavy and solid impression.
- KANN CUBE
- Body Color
- Wolf Gray
- Body Material
- 5-inch (720x1280) Touch Display
- Supported Audio Formats
- WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA (Support Scheduled)
- MQA Playback
- Services (Tidal Masters), Local files, External USB, MQA-CD (ripped)
- Sample Rate
- PCM: 8kHz ~ 384kHz (8/16/32bits per sample
DSD Native: DSD64(1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo
DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
DSD256 (1bit 11.2MHz), Stereo
- Output Level (Phone)
- High: Unbalanced 6Vrms / Balanced 12Vrms (Condition No Load)
Mid: Unbalanced 4Vrms / Balanced 8Vrms (Condition No Load)
Low: Unbalanced 2Vrms / Balanced 4Vrms (Condition No Load)
- Output Level (XLR)
- 4Vrms (Condition No Load)
- ESS ES9038PRO SABRE 8-channel x2 (Dual DAC)
- Support up to 32bit / 384kHz bit-to-bit playback
- USB Type-C input (for PC and Mac)
- Phones (3.5mm)
Optical Out (3.5mm)
Balanced Out (2.5mm, only 4-pole supported)
XLR Out (Mini 5-pin)
- 802.11 b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- V4.2 (A2DP, AVRCP, aptX™HD)
- 3.45" W x 5.51" H x 1.24" D (87.78mm x 140mm x 31.5mm)
- 17.3 oz (493g)
- Feature Enhancements
- Firmware upgades supported (OTA)
- Frequency Response (Phone Out)
- ±0.027dB (Condition: 20Hz-20kHz) Unbalance / ±0.025dB (Condition: 20Hz-20kHz) Balance
±0.07dB (Condition: 10Hz-70kHz) Unbalance / ±0.087dB (Condition: 10Hz-70kHz) Balance
- Frequency Response (XLR Out)
- ±0.025dB (Condition: 20Hz-20kHz) / ±0.032dB (Condition: 10Hz-70kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio
- Phone Out: 117dB @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 136dB @ 1kHz, Balance
XLR Out: 128dB @ 1kHz
- Phone Out: 129dB @ 1 kHz, Unbalance / 136dB @ 1 kHz, Balance
XLR Out: 146dB @1kHz
- Phone Out: 0.0004% @ 1kHz, Unbalance / 0.0005% @ 1 kHx, Balance
XLR Out: 0.0004% @ 1kHz
- IMD SMPTE
- Phone Out: 0.0005% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Unbalance / 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1) Calance
XLR Out: 0.0006% 800Hz 10kHz(4:1)
- Output Impedence
- Phones 3.5mm (1/2 ohm) / Balance Out 2.5mm (1.6ohm)
- Reference Clock Jitter
- 250Femto Seconds
- Battery Capactiy
- 7,400mAh 3.8V Li-Polymer Battery
- Continuous Playback Time
- upt o 9 hours (standard - MUSIC: FLAC, 16-bit/44kHz, Unbalance, Volume 80, EQ OFF, LCD OFF, Low Gain)
- Charge Time
- About 4 hours (Standard - 9V/1.67A Fast Charging)
About 5.5 hours (standard - 5V/1A General Charging)
- Built-In Memory
- 128GB [NAND]
- External Memory
- micro SD (x1)
- Supported OS
- Windows 7, 8, 10 (32/64bit), Mac OSX 10.7 and up